Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Reminds me of Seattle

Looking outside the window, I'm reminded of Seattle, the city where I grew up and which is still the place I refer to as home, even though I haven't lived there in so many years. Growing up, I used to tire of the gloomy, overcast, rain-filled days and but the overcast skies never bothered me that much. But after living in other places, more sunny places, going back to Seattle's rain and constant greyness fills me with dread and sadness.

So this weather that we've been having lately, of immensely thick clouds and heavy fog (or is it smog?) is making me feel pretty blue. The lack of color, the absence of the sun bouncing off the waters in the marina and ocean, the reflective windows without their reflection, the city has an eerie feeling, like something bad is about to happen. At least in Seattle the greyness was tempered by the lush foliage--Evergreen trees, Elms, Firs. Here it's just cranes, construction, and dust. What's the name of that syndrome that some people suffer from--Seasonal Affective Disorder? I think I have it....

No comments: